is currently located in the diverse west-side neighborhood of Gordon Square Arts District, one of the hardest hit areas in Cuyahoga County for HIV infections. Our goal is clear: reduce the negative impact of HIV/AIDs in our community. NLURC has devoted itself to serving the community from within, ensuring a positive change that can last for generations to come.
Who We Are
Founded in 1999, Nueva Luz Urban Resource Center (NLURC) originally broke ground as Proyecto Luz. The goal was clear: reduce the negative impact of HIV/AIDs in our community. We believed that HIV/AIDS among Cleveland's less fortunate was a manifestation of various different circumstances.
As NLURC further ingrained itself into the community, it became clear that our neighborhoods were in real need of a community-focused and culturally competent urban resource center. More than two decades later, NLURC is proud to provide people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) the resources needed to receive primary medical care, as well as housing, nutrition, recovery and legal resources.
For the past 20 years, Nueva Luz Urban Resource Center has dedicated itself to providing vital services that have a positive impact on our community. Our organization serves the community from within, ensuring long-term positive change for future generations.
NLURC is located in the diverse west-side neighborhood of Gordon Square Arts District, one of the hardest hit areas in Cuyahoga County for HIV infections.
- We provided services to over 1,000 individuals, tearing down barriers of language, race & poverty that prevent so many from receiving the care they need. Our organization seeks real, lasting change.
- 75% of our clients are people of color, and we are committed to breaking the cycles and preconceptions present in our community from within.
NLURC has evolved over time to meet the needs of the community. NLURC is stronger than ever and in a position to provide community-focused care to more people than ever before.
- We now assist over 1,500 people each year
- We provide invaluable legal advice to over 150 people
- NLURC officially began working with our friends in Lorain County in 2008
*Gordon Square Photograph: Suzuran Photography